Where are we Heading?


I was riding in the bus going to my exposure area when i started to wonder where these people i see on the streets are going? For sure i would not go beyond the question of where these people could be for it would not be my concern as of the moment and it will never be. But one thing that made me pause for awhile and started to wonder again, "Are all of us have destinations?" On this earth, getting old is one.
I was assigned for twoo weeks at Hospicio de San Jose, an institution for the elderly. I really enjoyed hearing their experiences that made me reflect and look also into my own life. One grandmother shared how miserable life is when she was operated in the stomach after her mother died. A grandfather also shared how God abandoned him after the death of his son and how he acquired sickness after the incident. And other similar stories of reflection, abadonment, deaths, etc. One could draw a question of where God is, but in spite of this, their Spirituality grew more and more because of their experiences. It is not because they wanted to have an assurance that they will go to heaven that is why some are very religious but i guess its more on that. They drew closer to God because they "BECAME OLD" (their experiences) and not the idea that they are aready at the portal of death. Time really changes physical features of the body and we are also called to bring change into our our spirituality. I saw life that is still beautiful in them, a life in Christ and this is the wisdom of the elderly.
Indeed, the only thing that is constant is change. All of us, whether we like it or not, are changing, we are all evolving into something new. My own spirituality is also called to journey tiowards God and to be transformed. This is what these elderly have taught me in my exposure area. There is METANOIA happening in their lives. They experience life ahead of us and they are sharing this life back to us, for they too are well aware that like them, we too are heading to where they are now. After all, we have the same destination. Growing old is a good experience while God is with us.

-melskiens-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blessed Pope John Paul II

WHY US LORD?: A Reflection On The Typhoon Yolanda Calamity.

A New Open Space