The Miracle of Santino...

ABS-CBN's May Bukas Pa


I'm on a remote place in Ormoc and all I can see are the mountains and all the trees and birds flying over it. There are no internet connection, big establishments, vehicles, etc. Houses are hundreds of meters away from the place where i'm into. During night time, the only thing you can hear is the whispering sound of the wind and some night insects singing their nightly lullabies. The night is inviting you to sleep as early as 8:00 pm. Thanks to the television we have (not a cable one). I can stay a bit late than 8 pm...(watching local tv shows)
Sometimes i find it awkward to watch "telenovelas," some of them make you stupid because of the seemingly so obvious scenes that the writer or the director wants to portray to us presuming we do know nothing. But the situation i have this time offers me no choices at all...I'm not saying that those who do watch are stupid because right now, i'm always in front of the TV set for the "teleserye" I'm following. Now it's not about the technicality of a certain teleserye but it's more than that. It's the reflection of the story that i can see in my own life, and i saw this in the teleserye "May Bukas Pa." It's a story about the orphaned boy that was abandoned by his mother in front of a church run by the Franciscan Order. He found a statue of Christ in the cemetery. the statue looks lonely for him, and so he visits the statue every now and then. He gave a name to the statue and called him - "Bro." Actually this is a copied story from the Spainish movie Marcelino pan y vino, which was based on a novel by José Maria Sanchez Silva, he is also the one who wrote for the film. I was moved by this teleserye, not because I'm a religious brother but more so because it talks about my faith , it talks about my prayer life, my relationships to people and to God. My relationship to God is not always smooth as it is sailing on. There are also doubts and questions regarding the life he has given to me, where and what to do about it, for whom and for what it is. I remember when i was just a small boy. I am so religious that time, i also have this short conversations with my own "Bro" telling Him stories of my own. There's always energy igniting in me whenever i am in front of the image of Jesus. This experience brought me to the thinking of becoming a priest. But when i grew up and started to enter in the seminary, i also started to question many things, even to the point of questioning whether there is really a God? Now, with the help of the this teleserye, i was brought to my childhood days of innocence. I wanted to go back to the time when all things matter is Him and nothing else. I want to bring back the days when my trust to Him is just like the trust of an infant to her mother. Santino in the teleserye made miracles on behalf of Jesus. And now Santino is making it again, this time not in the scenes, but to the person watching it...It's the Miracle of Santino...



-melskiens-

Comments

Anonymous said…
i am one of those who was never been addicted to teleseryes as in NEVER hehe whether pinoy, chinese, koreans or latinos. tagna lage ko mura ang storya sa marcelino pan y bino sa trailer pa lang daan hehehe.. even if i would want to try watching it, i cant... classes naq start sa hapon to early in the morning... waz q tym jud tanaw tv daily sa gabii.
Anonymous said…
Simpleng mensahe lang kapatid ang nilalarawan ng teleserye para sa ating lahat,(although hindi ko sya pinapanood),na ang ating pag-ibig at pananampalataya sa Diyos ay gaya ng sa bata, payak at puno ng pananabik. Marahil, marami na tayong nalalaman sa theolohiya, pero ang mga ito ay patnubay lamang sa tunay na damdamin ng ating pananampalataya. Napanood ko na ang orihinal na Marcelino pan Y vino at naiyak talaga ako sa bandang huli sa wagas na pag-ibig ni Marcelino kay Hesus, at ang pagpapamalas naman ng kaganapan ng pangako ni Hesus sa kanyang mga minamahal.
Anonymous said…
sayang at di ko ito mapapanood. i'm always a big fan of the story, Marcelino, Pan Y Vino.
sana maghit ang teleserye na ito. it is one medium that can help animate our faith.
happy loner said…
hi brod! permi jud ko glantaw MAY BUKAS PA gkan jud pagsugod ky gnahan jud ko sa story ma-inspired jud ka..gilain galing nila ang name sa bata, ga expct jud ko nga Marcelino nya Santino d-i..bsta mu2o lng ta ni "bro" ok jud ang tnan.

God bless Brod! tc alwayz!
happy loner said…
hi brod! permi jud ko glantaw MAY BUKAS PA gkan jud pagsugod ky gnahan jud ko sa story ma-inspired jud ka..gilain galing nila ang name sa bata, ga expct jud ko nga Marcelino nya Santino d-i..bsta mu2o lng ta ni "bro" ok jud ang tnan.

God bless Brod! tc alwayz!
Unknown said…
i rarely watch tv. pero i like this telenobela..it always makes me cry..huhuhu...

Popular posts from this blog

Blessed Pope John Paul II

WHY US LORD?: A Reflection On The Typhoon Yolanda Calamity.

A New Open Space